Thursday, July 14, 2011

Gingerbread!

I live in an area where my phone is always "roaming".  This is not a Verizon home area.  Normally that isn't a big deal.  I can make calls, my data works (3G is available), and I don't incur any extra charges on my bill for any of this.  That's all good.  To my knowledge that only leaves two things that I can't do where I live.

1. I can't activate a new phone unless I drive to a Verizon area.
2. I can't receive software updates until I'm in a Verizon area.

This brings me to today.  I happened to drive to a Verizon home area and I checked my phone to see if any software updates were available.  There was!  Gingerbread, Android's newest update to their operating system was available for me to download.  So I started the download immediately.  The download file is rather large coming in at a shade over 116 MB.  Make sure you have enough signal and battery power if you are going to update your handset.  Overall the download and install took roughly 20 minutes.  Everything went very smooth and the phone took the update well.  I am just starting to play around with the new OS and so far everything seems to be working just fine.  I would expect nothing less since Gingerbread was first being released all the way back in December 2010.

I am not ready to share any details yet since I have only had it installed for a few hours now.  I plan on having a video review posted here very soon.  So keep checking back.  In the mean time, check your phone to see if you have any available updates.  See what happens!  If you already have updated your phone to Gingerbread please let me know how your experience has been.

Have fun and update your OS!
Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment