Saturday, July 30, 2011

Catching the Moment

It's amazing how much technology has changed the way that we capture memories, document events, and share those special once in a lifetime moments.  Ever since I got my new phone, it has been with me nearly every moment of the day.  It's a powerful computer/camera/movie studio in the palm of my hand!  The events that I have captured have been just completely amazing and not possible in the not too distant past.

Compact digital cameras were an amazing product to come along.  You could shoot hundreds of pictures and then save them to your computer and start all over again.  You weren't limited by the 24 or 36 exposure film anymore.  And developing pictures was a thing of the past.

Camcorders were a great way to document events on "film" so that you could show other friends and family that weren't able to be there.  Although sometimes getting the footage into a usable form was sometimes an issue depending on the format of the recording.  Editing sometimes became a challenge as well.

In comes the modern smart phone.  I have all of the above things handy on my phone plus the internet to share or store things almost instantly!  For example, this past week my oldest daughter learned how to ride a two-wheeler without training wheels.  It was a fantastic moment for me and an accomplishment that she is very, very proud of.  Instead of carrying around a camera, and camcorder and then hooking it up to the computer, I was able to film the event and take a few pictures.  Then I immediately sent off one of the pictures to share the great news!  After she was done riding, I could share with the rest of my friends and family on Facebook!

Another recent first happened that I caught on film because I had my phone along.  My family and I were visiting some friends for dinner.  After dinner their one year old daughter was crawling around and even standing on her own.  She hasn't really walked yet but, she grabbed one of her walking toys and started wandering around the house!  They said it was the first time that their daughter has ever done that!  Everyone was very excited and I captured the moment on my phone!  After that I was able to give them a copy so that they can enjoy that moment over whenever they want.

These are just a couple of examples of how awesome it is to have a smartphone handy.  My phone has an 8 Megapixel camera and shoots video in 720P resolution.  It's incredible to have that much good equipment within reach at all times whenever the moment may need to be documented.

Now that's The Power of Android!

Have fun and capture those precious moments!
Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment