Friday, July 1, 2011

Skype! Syke.

The newest version of the Skype app for Android supports two way video calls over wi-fi and 3G!  That's awesome!  I think that a lot of people were really waiting for that to come out.  Especially if you have recently upgraded your phone and it has a front facing camera.  So, you can go ahead and download and install the app. I did.  When I went to the Android market there was even the notification on the left side of the screen telling me that it was compatible with my phone, the Droid Incredible 2.  BUT WAIT!!!  Everything works except the video chat portion of the app.  I can't even find it in the menus!

So, I turned to Google to find some answers.  This new version of Skype only supports four phones.  So, if you own a HTC Desire, Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo, Sony Ericsson Xperia Pro, or the Googel Nexus S you are in luck!  As long as you are running Android 2.3 Gingerbread or newer.  Gingerbread (Android's code name for the 2.3 version of their operating system) isn't available for all of the phones out there yet.

This brings me to one of my "Pain Points" about Android.  The Android developers come out with new versions of their operating system a couple times a year.  Each version better than the last.  You can usually expect to see better performance, new features, and more support for advanced apps...like Skype.  Unfortunately, there are layers of software laid over the top of the stock Android OS by the handset manufacturer and the carrier that you have your phone through.  Each of these entities need to make modifications to make sure that your phone will still work well after you install any updates.  This can take a very long time.  Sometimes it doesn't happen at all!  I believe Gingerbread was released around December of 2010.  I have a brand new phone with Android 2.2 Froyo on it.  Although I think that Froyo was and is a very good version of the OS, I want to have the latest and greatest and I can't have it right now.  Even though Gingerbread has been out for eight months!  If you think about it, there really is very little incentive for the manufacturers or carriers to work on the update.  They have your money already and probably locked you into a 2 year contract.  If they want repeat customers, it would be wise to update as quick as possible.

So, I got way off track there.  The bottom line is that I can't wait to get an update for my phone (hopefully it's coming soon) so that I can use this new version of Skype.  Right now I am using Tango, which works pretty well...but, everyone that I video chat with is on Skype.  I will wait this one out I guess.

What are your thoughts on the new Skype?  Can you use it?  Have you used it?  How well does it work?  Or, are you impatiently waiting like me?  Let me know.  I can't wait to hear from you.

Have fun and talk with video!
Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment