Sunday, August 7, 2011

Skype mobile - Update

Skype has released a new update that allows video calling on more handsets than before.  In fact, besides just the handsets that they have certified, as long as you are on Android version 2.2 (froyo) or newer their service should work on your phone.  It does look like if you are on froyo though you will be limited to just using the rear facing camera which may be cumbersome.  I have upgraded to Android version 2.3.3 (Gingerbread) and have installed the new version of the Skype app.  To find out what version of Android that you are running simply go to your settings, about phone, and then software information.  It should tell you what version you are running at the top of the screen under "Android version".

 Simply stated...IT IS AWESOME!!!  Skype is cross-platform.  So, I can place a Skype call from my phone to someone's computer or phone to phone if they have Skype installed too.  The voice and video quality are very good.  Switching between front and rear facing cameras is very simple too.  All you have to do is tap the screen and a menu pops up for you to make your choice.  Switching back and forth is very fast and easy.  This is where I encountered the only glitch that I have found.  Once, when switching between cameras the image froze on the other end of the call.  Everything seemed fine on my end but I was informed that my image was stuck in place.  Hmmm...  Well, the fix is actually pretty easy.  Just tap the screen to bring up your camera menu and tap "turn off video".  Then tap the screen again to turn on video.  You won't drop the call and it only takes a few seconds.  I can live with that.  Besides...my phone isn't even on the certified list!  If you  want to read the support documents from Skype here is a link for your convenience.  https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA11019/How-do-I-make-video-calls-with-Skype-for-Android

Here's a quick story on how I used Skype video calling yesterday.  My kids are staying with one of the grandparent's this weekend.  Well, we got a big storm with a lot of rain.  The water was almost up to the rims on our vehicles.  The weather was moving in their direction.  So, I called them with Skype on my phone.  I was able to talk and see them and then I switched to the back camera so that they could see what the storm left behind.  They thought that was pretty cool!  And, I am just amazed on how I could share that moment with my kids while they are half way across the state.

Have you downloaded the new Skype yet?  What do you think?  How are you going to use it?

Have fun and make some video calls!
Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment